WIWS - No doughnuts edition

Sunday, May 5, 2013

Okay, I'll admit it - I'm a little bit of a child when it comes to my love for sweets.  So when I saw the "Coffee and Donuts after Mass" sign outside, I was pretty excited!
 
But, well, last week was a disaster for the kids, behavior-wise.  So we figured we'd use the doughnuts as an incentive for good behavior.  And they DID do better than last week (it would be almost impossible not to), but not well enough to deserve doughnuts.  And, much to my disappointment, Andrew carried through with the threat!
 
So poor John Paul, whose overly-emotional self feels every punishment with DEEP and INTENSE sadness, sobbed all the way to the car. 
 
And Cecilia skipped happily to the car holding my hand, saying, "I sowwy for bein' bad at Mass!  I sowwy for cwimbin' on da pew!  I sowwy!" in her most cheerful tone. 
 
So we'll try it again next week and maybe I'll get my doughnuts!
 
I mean...  Maybe the kids will get doughnuts?
 
But mostly me.
 
 
We had to leave early to get out of the house before the 5k runners came down our street, so we let the kids walk around and explore the outdoor Stations of the Cross and the statue of Mary outside.  And I figured we might as well take a picture, since we had time!
 
John Paul:  Better dressed than anyone in the whole church.  I actually think his entire outfit might be Janie & Jack clearance...
Me:  Express turtleneck
Dress...  From somewhere?  Ages ago, back when I first got pregnant with Cecilia and needed a dress to hide it.
Shoes:  Bass?  I didn't think they made shoes, but apparently I have a pair.
Hair:  Barely combed, since we had to get out of the house earlier than usual and I was busy getting the kids dressed!
 
Carrier:  Borrowed Mei Tai with Mary Claire.  Andrew wore Elizabeth in the Ergo on his back and she slept through Mass!  I'm seriously tempted to get another Ergo now, since he always wears mine and the Mei Tai is less comfortable as the babies get bigger...
 
Linking up with Mandi @ Messy Wife this week - check out more Sunday style!
 
And a completely unrelated edit:  I just made playdough using this recipe and it's the easiest & best I've ever used - why do I always stick with the no-cook stuff?  This was WAY easier, took less time, and yielded better results!   Be an awesome mom and make some for your kids!  Even if they eat it, it's all non-toxic :P

18 comments:

  1. Oh gosh, it's so hard to follow through when babies are sobbing!!

    Thanks for the recipe. I need to try this! If Carter smashes it into the floor though, I might not be too thankful, ha! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is such a pretty Mei Tai...I actually like the Mei Tai better than the Ergo, but that might just be because I lost my Ergo, and I just tell myself I like the Mei Tai better to make myself feel better. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked the Mei Tai better when they weighed less, but it's not as supportive and the straps aren't as thick. Also the chest buckle on the Ergo really helps distribute the weight - we were hiking on Saturday and my back was KILLING me with Elizabeth (who doesn't even weigh 13 lbs yet) after an hour, whereas I feel like I can wear either of them in the Ergo forever!

      Delete
  3. We use doughnuts as a bribe too! It didn't really work until my first was 3.5 or so, but now it is a MAJOR incentive. Downsides include the time she *screamed*, literally screamed, just b/c she felt like it, and then cried out loudly as we rushed her out, "Can I still get a doughnut? Can I still get a doughnut?" She did NOT get a doughnut that week. But anyway, most Sundays it works. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh sad face on the no donuts :(
    We have done this time and time again over the years with our sin. It does get easier, I promise. Just be consistent and they will learn in time.
    Loving the longer look. So chic...

    ReplyDelete
  5. You look lovely, hoping you all get to enjoy the doughnuts next time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Much though I hate to deny anybody the wonderfulness of doughnuts, Andrew was right to be consistent. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm exactly the same way when it comes to donuts. There's a delicious shop just a few blocks away from my apartment and it takes insane willpower to avoid eating them multiple times a week! Kudos to you for sticking through with the threat, btw. Donuts are a timeless parenting tool, I guess- I remember *my* mother threatening to take away my beloved after Mass treat back in the day. (And I was a Cecilia!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this proud mama quote "better dressed than anyone on the whole church. " and you are so right, look at that dapper little man!

    ReplyDelete
  9. :( on no donuts but :D for the follow through! parenting takes sacrifice ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Rosie! I'm so proud of you for forgoing the donuts for the sake of discipline! I only hope I'm that strong someday!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the blazer on your little boy. So something I would have mine in. Also love the carrier...oohhh your husband wears your little one?! I might have to try that with my husband and also justify buying another ergo. I have almost done it twice before but didn't have a reason. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would like to point out that Cecilia is a sociopath. But I would also like everyone to know that I am her aunt and love her very much and am mostly joking.

    But only mostly.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think that unless YOU were climbing on the pew, you should still have gotten your doughnut (or donut...how are people spelling that these days?). Anyway, just saying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never know how it's really supposed to be spelled! I go back and forth... Andrew got us Blizzards at DQ after the kids went to bed, so I suppose it all evened out ;)

      Delete
  14. I was about to ask about the mei tei!

    I love my Ergo, I wouldn't give up my wraps for it, but I'm really glad we both have one.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have found that I HAVE to stick to what I say consequences are going to be if my kiddos don't behave well in Mass, which is SO hard like you are saying. Once we were going to go out to eat after mass IF the kids behaved, which going out to eat is a super big deal. Well, our Isaac was not good, so we had to go home and make dinner-- which was a total bummer! Anyways, hope you get your donuts next week :).

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yes, he was definitely best-dressed! So handsome! You have me intrigued about the Mei Tai.

    ReplyDelete

I *love* reading your kind comments and will always try my best to reply right here in the comment box so we can keep the conversation going! If you have a blog of your own, please do link to it so I can visit back :)

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan