13/52: Pretzels and Easter Eggs

Wednesday, April 14, 2021

 

Look! Did you catch it? A rare Andrew sighting!! Once again, I reminded him that someday he will be dead and our children will be glad to have pictures with him in them and he only rolled his eyes a little. 

I arranged a bunch of Easter bouquets for our flower customers and Cecilia used my castoffs to make an Easter centerpiece for us - now that we have so many flowers blooming and a good amount of bouquets going out, the girls are more interested in floral design than ever, which is awfully sweet... I need to take a picture of some of the little posies they've made this week! Edith in particular is always bringing me little wildflower arrangements, very carefully curated, and then she gives them to our statue of Mary. I love it!! Grow flowers for your children if you can, please!

We did our annual Good Friday soft pretzel meal, and it went fairly smoothly - I think I've gotten it down to a science and it's not too penitential for me to see the kids eating straight flour and licking their fingers while shaping their pretzels. It's always funny to see what shapes they choose... Most of them just tried making silly things, though John Paul always likes *symbolism* so he carefully showed me his stalk of wheat, his bunch of grapes, his host, his cross, his crown of thorns... They do enjoy playing with play doh, so honestly they're more adept at shaping than I am! Mine mostly just end up like fat pretzel-shaped rolls. But they're delicious!

Lucy thankfully didn't even notice what we were doing!! I was worried she would demand to join in... But when she saw everyone was getting aprons on, she begged for one and then proceeded to the mud room, where she tried everyone's shoes on for 20-30 minutes while the other kids shaped their pretzels. It was quite convenient timing! She didn't even realize she was missing the fun!

On Holy Saturday after John Paul and I took our Easter food to be blessed, the kids got things set up for Easter egg dying... Apparently I picked up a couple kits on clearance a couple years ago and kept forgetting about them? So I barely had to supervise, they got everything set up themselves! Once again, Lucy had no clue what was going on until the very end, when she realized there were eggs! And she LOVES eggs! She NEEDED an egg! So I got an extra for her and... She tried to eat it, shell and all. Once I peeled it for her she was much happier.

I always feel so stingy since I only let them each dye like, four eggs apiece... But we just don't need *that* many hard boiled eggs in our lives, and I was right not to cook more since they still haven't finished eating them. They go through phases with eggs, and apparently right now we are NOT in a hard boiled egg phase.

6 comments:

  1. I’ve got several hard boiled egg eaters... I am not one of them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They complained that they were undercooked... They were perfectly cooked!! They just weren't *overcooked* like they usually are 😂

      Delete
  2. I only got to dye two when I was a child. :) Four sounds extravagant! Loved the Andrew sighting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were happy for over an hour, they just kept redipping even when I thought they were done! Two probably would have been plenty 😂

      Delete
  3. I let my kids go to town - we dye about 4-5 dozen. However, I do raw eggs - there is no way we'd use more than one or two hard boiled in a week. And it's nice openning the fridge and seeing a rainbow of eggs- little jewels - sitting in their boxes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think mine would end up breaking raw eggs!! Plus we rarely have that many extras, we've been selling out pretty often...

      Delete

I *love* reading your kind comments and will always try my best to reply right here in the comment box so we can keep the conversation going! If you have a blog of your own, please do link to it so I can visit back :)

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan