Easy, Freezer-Friendly Cheesesteak Wraps

Wednesday, October 8, 2014

I had more pictures for this post.  Then a certain 5-year-old decided to erase all the pictures on the camera's memory card.  And replace them with about 100 out-of-focus pictures of the couch.

Anyway, this recipe was born out of desperation - I wanted cheesesteak for dinner and I wanted it bad.  There are approximately zero places to get a good cheesesteak in the DC area (do you know of any? Tell me!!!).  But I had the ingredients except...

No bread.

And no time to bake sandwich rolls.

But...  A lot of tortillas?

So I took a chance and made the filling like I would, wrapped it in a tortilla, and toasted it on our griddler (one of my absolute favorite appliances!).

The verdict?

Delicious!  AND less messy, and the kids actually eat the entire thing because there's not as much bread!

(I don't know what it is about our kids, but they mostly won't eat the hot dog bun or hamburger bun or sandwich roll or whatever.  They just want meat and cheese.)




Ingredients:

2.5 lbs thinly sliced ribeye, or one of those big old $10 packages of Steak-EZE at Sam's or Costco
2-3 bell peppers, sliced thin
1 medium sweet onion, sliced thin
At least 12 slices Provolone and/or American cheese
12 large tortillas
4 tbsp butter
Salt
Pepper

Instructions (so easy!):

1. Melt 2 tbsp butter in a large pan.  Sautee onions with salt until soft, then add peppers and cook to desired softness (I like mine to stay a little crisp).  Set aside (if you have picky eaters who won't want these on their wraps)
2. Melt 2 tbsp butter in another large pan, add beef, sprinkle with salt & pepper, and cook until brown.  Drain fat.
3. Layer beef, peppers & onions (add mushrooms if you like those), and cheese.  I did 1 slice provolone and 1 slice of american for each.  Fold up wrap and cook until crispy either on a griddler, a panini press, a George Foreman grill...  Something to add those nice grill marks!

Slice and enjoy!  Makes about a dozen - 5 of them fed our family of 6 easily (with pepper strips on the side), and I wrapped the other 7 in foil and stuck them in the freezer for lunches for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I *love* reading your kind comments and will always try my best to reply right here in the comment box so we can keep the conversation going! If you have a blog of your own, please do link to it so I can visit back :)

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan