Week by Week, 29/52: Pumpkin Carving

Thursday, July 27, 2017










Our compost pumpkin plant finished producing and the pumpkins had ripened enough that the girls decided to pick them. Four adorable little pumpkins that they carried around playing with for several days - who needs toys? This is actually one major reason we're growing so many gourds and winter squash; it's hilarious watching the kids play with them, making squash families, towers, sorting them by side... And then we feed them to the animals when they start to get mushy.

They were begging me to let them carve them. NO. It's July. And seeing how banged to they were getting, there was no way these would make it to October. Then one day I was putting Edith down for a nap and they took matters into their own hands! They found an old pumpkin carving kit somebody had given to us and did it ALL themselves. This was actually amazing, because I hate pumpkin scooping and carving more than just about everything.

However. Just as I told them, the pumpkins started shriveling up almost immediately after. The pigs have been enjoying their feast, and we're looking forward to the larger pumpkins growing in our pumpkin patch!

Edith has been fussing constantly while I try to cook dinner and hold her at the same time... It turns out she just wants to sit and crawl on the stone floor! I'm thankful that she's stable enough that I don't have to worry about her tipping over and cracking her head, and this buys me a few minutes of two-handed prep.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I *love* reading your kind comments and will always try my best to reply right here in the comment box so we can keep the conversation going! If you have a blog of your own, please do link to it so I can visit back :)

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan