49/52: Advent-ing

Tuesday, December 11, 2018



Not to brag or anything, but... We found ALL the Advent things in time for the First Sunday of Advent! Note to self: put it all in a box marked Advent come February when we clean this all up, so we don't have to get ALL the bins out in order to put our few decorations up...

Cecilia asked me to find a printable countdown calendar for them to color in (this one! Free!) and so far everyone has been pretty diligent about coloring in a leaf each day (or more than one leaf... There are some rather confused children here but that's okay!). We've gotten started on our crafts and they're begging for new ones every day but where's the fun in that? Anticipation, kids!!!

Our Advent books have been big hits so far, and I was amazed when we read our second book... They were inspired to give away a box of toys, and Elizabeth and Peter both put ALL their money in our almsgiving jar. Everyone is excited to pick different charities to give to!

We had a couple nice warm days at the beginning of the week, so I sent the kids out to cut greenery to spruce up (ha!) the Advent wreath, and it's looking much less pitiful! But more than anything, it was just plain sweet watching Peter try to cut juniper (and he gave up after two sprigs, handing me the clippers and taking on the duty of putting them in the basket for me). Elizabeth gathered as many rose hips as she could, hoarding them and refusing to let the other kids eat them (because they WILL eat anything edible they can forage, even if it doesnt actually taste good). She tucked them in among the greenery and I'm pretty sure they will all have been pilfered within a few days, but it's the thought that counts, right?

9 comments:

  1. yeah for advent!!!! did you guys get a pony for your little farm...? that pony in the background looks like our old pony!! pony/horses are great for kids I got my first pony for my 5th birthday/Christmas (December birthdays are lame!!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ponies live next door and are so, so sweet! The kids pet them and feed them all the time :)

      Delete
  2. Your photos of Peter with the shrub clippers are giving me anxiety. They make me nervous, even when I use them. I don't want him losing any of his precious little fingers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure he's able, Tina, and a poke is the worst he might get! One of my sons is the same age as Peter and has been able to snip some greens safely for Advent this year, too. :)

      Delete
    2. Yeah he's pretty darned careful! I figure either I teach them how to use tools properly at an early age or they find them when they're older and hurt themselves because they've never had any exposure!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. I keep getting flashback pictures of the twins at 2 and 3 and they've gotten SO BIG 😭😭😭

      Delete
  4. I love the clippers pictures. That face of concentration is priceless.

    ReplyDelete

I *love* reading your kind comments and will always try my best to reply right here in the comment box so we can keep the conversation going! If you have a blog of your own, please do link to it so I can visit back :)

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan