32/52: Pumpkin Time!

Thursday, August 20, 2020






We had our first watermelon of the season and I thought the others would be far, far behind... But it turns out that a ton ripened all at once! I guess the dry weather convinced them it was time to quit growing and start ripening. I wish I had videotaped the harvest, the kids got SO excited. Lots of "is THIS one ready??" and "I want to carry that one!!!" and "WOW this one is the CHAMPION!!!"

Once we harvested the watermelons and checked on the cantaloupes, we realized a bunch of the early pumpkins were ready as well, and everybody was so pleased that they got to carry the pumpkins to the wagon as well. In total, we harvested 13 watermelons, 11 sugar pumpkins, and three cantaloupes that evening, and we've been harvesting more every day! Peter and Edith desperately needed to pose for a picture with their favorite pumpkins, too.

Most of these went/will go to the CSA (I do NOT like pumpkin, nor does anyone else in the family except the boys), but we've got a huge patch of winter squash that's just started producing, so I'm hoping for a good harvest there - then we can invite all the kids in the CSA to come help, and I think they'll have a blast!

2 comments:

I *love* reading your kind comments and will always try my best to reply right here in the comment box so we can keep the conversation going! If you have a blog of your own, please do link to it so I can visit back :)

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan