I dunno, doesn't that seem crazy-old to you?
He started his "birthday season" a little early because presents started arriving a few days beforehand and I just let him open the ones from Andrew's mom because I figured it wouldn't hurt to prolong the gift-receiving in order to spread things out a little bit. And then he told me that his "birthday season" would end as soon as his last present came, which was the long-awaited Kiwi Crate from Andrew's dad (he LOVES those things!). Because apparently "birthday season" is a thing the same way the "Easter Season" and the "Christmas Season" are?
I've been doing this survey with him for the past several years, and I love to see which answers stay the same and which ones change -
1. What is your favorite color? Green.
2. What is your favorite toy? Board games, especially Monopoly.
3. What is your favorite fruit? Peaches.
4. What is your favorite television show? Hmm... TV show... Blue's Clues.
5. What is your favorite thing to eat for lunch? Peanut butter English muffins with black raspberry jam (conveniently, what he chose for lunch today).
6. What is your favorite outfit? *Looks down at what he's wearing* The ones that look very patriotic.
7. What is your favorite game? Game? Like a sport or a board game. Monopoly.
8. What is your favorite snack? Dried fruit.
9. What is your favorite animal? Dog, cat. Why? Because they're furry, and they're nice to be with!
10. What is your favorite song? Oh, I don't know. Are there any songs you like to listen to or sing? Leaving of Liverpool. Scythian.
11. What is your favorite book? Beverly Cleary, graphic novels.
12. Who is your best friend? Oh... Other boys my age and older. e.g. (and he names a bunch of people we know)
13. What is your favorite cereal? Raisin Bran (the store brand kind that has granola in it)
14. What is your favorite thing to do outside? Run around, ride my bike.
15. What is your favorite drink? Coca Cola. (a very rare treat)
16. What is your favorite holiday? Independence Day.
17. What do you like to take to bed with you at night? Usually books.
18. What is your favorite thing to eat for breakfast? Cereal and other breakfast foods on the side.
19. What do you want for dinner on your birthday? *whispers* Scrambled eggs. But we had a picnic at the pool, so it was pizza...
20. What do you want to be when you grow up? Furrows his brow... All kinds of different things that involve a lot of thinking. Such as? Math, electricity, science...
Anything else you'd like to say? No.
So there he is. A child of few words, because he really really wanted to get back to his board games!
Me: John Paul, give me your best 7-year-old smile!
Him: Hmm... Strikes pose below
Me: Uh... really?
Happy birthday, sweet boy!