WIWS & My Fall Staples

Sunday, September 14, 2014

I woke up this morning to a VERY chilly house (the windows were all open last night) and saw that it was only like, 50 degrees outside!  And while I haven't been anticipating fall quite so much as many others seem to be (pumpkins are pretty but taste nasty, and I want summer to last so we can get a few more tomatoes from the garden!), I was pretty excited to break out some of my fall favorites!


I think I've had this shirt dress for the past 3 pregnancies, and it's served me well!  Not the right color/weight for summer, but with cooler weather starting up, it's perfect now.

So you'll see me wearing a lot of dresses with tights or leggings (mostly leggings, because maternity tights are ridiculous.  Seriously, these probably have an extra 5 inches in the legs that I had to pull up!)

Scarf: Amazon (exact - and I'll note that Elizabeth ADORES it and gave me about a trillion hugs so she could stroke it, so it's totally worth the $7 or however much it cost...)
Booties: DSW (similar)
Bangs: In serious need of a trim...

And of course, I had the camera out so the girls wanted pictures!


"CHEESE!!!" Said Mary Claire.  "Crackers!!!" Responded Elizabeth.  Oh these twins - comedy at its finest ;)


Cecilia had already changed out of her Mass clothes into a more suitable ballerina dress.  Because she's 3.

It was so nice to be back at our home parish this week, in no small part because Mass is always on the short side so I wasn't physically exhausted by the end!  Plus Andrew stayed home with the babies because he goes to a later Mass, so there was no real wrangling that needed to happen - we're still not at the point where we can make it to Mass as a family 100% of the time, but we'll get there eventually!

Linking up with Fine Linen & Purple for their 100th week of What I Wore Sunday!

And continuing on the fashion note of this post...

Let's say you're putting together a fall wardrobe but you don't know where to start or what staples to add to your closet - what do you do???

Have no fear!  Here are some of my favorites to take you through fall and beyond!

1. Maxi Skirt

This is such an important basic piece for any closet - I strongly suggest you at least go somewhere and try on a maxi skirt, even if you think one would never work for you!  I thought for years that maxi skirts and maxi dresses would look stupid on me because I'm so short, and I was wrong!

Styled for Fall

Styled for Summer

Styled for Maternity!
My Gap Maxi Skirt is the perfect length for me, and I'm 5'2" - I think it would work for anyone between about 5'0" and 5'4", and they have it in Tall and Petite for other heights.  There's also a similar skirt on Piperlime that's on a 5'9" model, so that would probably work great for you taller girls too!

2. Denim Jacket



I know, is it the 90s again?  But denim jackets are back, and so versatile because they go with everything!  I lucked out and got an awesome J.Crew jacket for a great price from Twice, but I spotted a few others for good prices at other stores.



Maternity (although WHY this would only work for maternity is beyond me...)
"Retro" (Okay just...  No.  But when I was searching, I couldn't resist!!!)

3. Scarves!



I love it when it's finally cool enough to wear a scarf with every outfit (and I DO end up wearing one with every outfit, too...), and they're one size fits all!  Here are some of my favorites from around the internet right now:
Forever 21
Old Navy

What are your go-tos? Boots? Skinnies? I want to hear what your fall essentials are!

And as a side note, thank you so much for reading these posts and clicking the links - I've been trying out a new affiliate program through ShopStyle, which I LOVE for their easy clothing searches.  Every time you click a link I get a few pennies, and I think soon I might be able to fund a new pair of boots, so hurray!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I *love* reading your kind comments and will always try my best to reply right here in the comment box so we can keep the conversation going! If you have a blog of your own, please do link to it so I can visit back :)

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan