Wait, it's not an actual award? Okay I'm gonna pretend that it is.
I got a Liebster award! Which basically means that I have fewer than 200 followers on my blog AND Cari knows it! So here are my answers to her questions:
1. When you were little, who did you want to marry?
I "dated" a boy named Andrew (not the one I actually married) in Montessori and he said he would fly me to England and marry me. So for a while, it was him. Then Brian from the Backstreet Boys. Then Jeff from 98 Degrees. And at some point my friends and I divvied up the members of Hanson and somehow I ended up with the youngest one...
2. What's the most out-of-character piece of clothing you own?
I actually gave away all of my tube tops and skanky bikinis (that got worn like, once ever and I felt so skanky that I never wore them again), so I'm not sure there's much left... I even gave away my sequin-and-chiffon 80s prom dress!
Oh, but I DO still own my floral Lands End Kids rain boots from college. But those aren't really out-of-character...
I might still own my ginormous dino footie pajamas?
Shoot, this is just turning into another Awkward Photo post...
3. Best piece of advice your mom or dad ever gave you?
My mom is giving me a LOT of gardening advice right now, which is awesome!!!
4. Sandals that go between your toes: are they called "Flip-flops" or "thongs"?
Flip flops, but my mom always called them Zories and I never understood why...
5. In a matchup between a fisher cat and a medium-sized squid, who would win and why?
How big is medium-sized? Like, halfway between regular and giant? I dissected a squid once in high school. And I had to google "fisher cat." On land, I say fisher cat wins. Those things can kill PORCUPINES! They like, jump on their heads Mario-style! At sea, I vote for squid, because have you seen their sharp sharp beaks! In neutral territory (say, a vat of jello) both die because they drown in the jello.
6. Do you like "Monty Python"?
I... have never seen Monty Python.
7. If not, what's wrong with you? Be detailed, please.
I know, what IS wrong with me??? In high school and college everybody would laugh and talk about it and I would just smile and nod and then not watch it because EVERYBODY watched it and I didn't want to conform for no reason (but, you know, I wore the unofficial uniform of ugly brown skechers, flares with a brown belt, and Hollister/American Eagle polo shirts for an entire year because that's what everyone wore...). And then it got to the point where it was like I was taking a stand by not watching Monty Python/Star Wars/Indiana Jones and now I've come SO far not watching these movies and I feel like I can't give in now!
My reasoning makes no sense, I know. You may hate me now.
8. Which do you think will happen first: personal jet packs or teleportation
I hope teleportation, because it seems safer than strapping combustible fuel packs to anyone who wants them...
9. Chocolate chip cookies- with nuts or without?
Without times a trillion. But also kind of without chocolate chips? I just really like the cookie part...
10. Why won't my kids go to sleep already?
They're just preparing for the zombie apocalypse, at which time sleep will only be for the weak.
AND NOW my 5 things! These are supposed to be 5 things you might not know about me...
1. I won the school spelling bee in 5th grade. And went on to the next round and was one of the top finishers (they ran out of time and we all kept spelling the words right), so they sent us all to the NEXT round (the final round before the national spelling bee) and I was one of the last 10 or so standing, I think? I got out on "Denouement" and then read it in a book the next week.
This is still one of my proudest achievements (aside from my Liebster award!!!).
2. I almost went to Notre Dame for college instead of Northwestern. I got wait-listed at both schools and twiddled my thumbs waiting for them to make up their minds. I called Notre Dame and practically begged for a spot, visited their admissions office and talked to the woman in charge, and was DYING for a chance to go there. Then I went to All State Choir and had an amaaaaaazing life-changing experience and prayed about it a ton and knew that God was calling me to be a music teacher. Then Northwestern called and offered me a spot, which I immediately accepted! I felt bad rescinding my acceptance to UVA but they were totally cool with it (plenty more where that came from, they thought!).
3 days later, the woman from Notre Dame ALSO called to offer me a spot. And was REALLY annoyed when I turned her down because I had just accepted Northwestern. And now I think my name might be black listed and maybe my kids won't be able to get in...
3. One of my great grandfathers was actually a pretty big deal impressionist painter and that's how my college education was paid for.
4. I grew up with HUGE dogs around all the time (Rottweilers, German Shepherds, Mastiffs, a Doberman, etc.) but now I don't ever want to have a dog. I loved them, but they are DIRTY and smelly! Basically I'm one of those jerks who kind of hates pets...
5. I was a vegetarian for a while when I was a kid (because my sister was and I did what she did) but I snuck meat on the side ALL the time. Like, entire packages of cold cuts. And cans of campbell's chicken noodle soup from concentrate, cold. And I still kind of like the taste of cold campbell's soup from concentrate... Yeah, not a vegetarian anymore.
Okay, folks, you're tagged for BOTH! And here are my questions for YOU, Jamie, Brooke, Shannon, Abbey, and Blair:
1. If you had to choose only ONE animal (cow, pig, chicken, other) whose meat/products you could eat for the rest of your life, which would it be and why?
2. What is your favorite article of clothing, the one you would seriously miss if it were gone?
3. What do you tell your kids about Santa/the Easter Bunny/the tooth fairy/other secular(ized) characters?
4. How many pairs of shoes do you own?
5. What is your favorite thing about where you live?
6. How did you choose your children's names?
7. Can we all agree that it's obnoxious when parents make up new spellings for names? Like Madisyn and Abagayle and McKinzEe?
8. Have you watched Toddlers and Tiaras? Are you as intrigued by it as I am? Give me your thoughts, please.
9. How many crucifixes/icons/saint statues do you have in your house? Do you wish you had more/less?
10. What is one thing about your life right now that makes you ecstaticly happy?
I'm excited for your answers, ladies! And even if I didn't tag you, feel free to answer in your own post or in the comments!