WIWS - A Baby-Free Mass

Sunday, June 30, 2013

Do you notice something rather strange about my attire this week?
 
 

Check out that neckline!  That is NOT a nursing-friendly dress!  

But I was able to wear it this week because I left the babies at home with Andrew and took John Paul and Cecilia to the 8:30 on my own.

See, the babies wake up anywhere from 5-7.  Which means by about 8 or 8:30, they're exhausted and ready for naps.  But the only Mass we can make is the 8:30, since Andrew has rehearsal for his noon Mass at 10:30.  So this week, instead of trying to placate fussy babies the entire Mass, we just let them sleep.


Attire:

Dress:  Newport News from college - it's a lot snugger than it was back then, but I can still zip it up so it's a win!
Shoes:  DSW repeats
Belt:  Kohl's
Blazer:  Benneton (also college - can't button it but who cares?)
Jewelry:  A gift from a sweet sweet student (I could wear dangly earrings to Mass because I had no babies pulling at them!!!)

Grades:  

I promised the big kids sausage biscuits at McDonald's if they were good.  For once, we had NO yelling, NO fighting, NO need to threaten to take either of them out.  And while they didn't necessarily pay attention or pray the whole time, they were far less distracting than they usually are!

John Paul:  B+ - had to yank him away from the priest after Communion because he was trying to convince Father that it was time for an impromptu first communion...
Cecilia:  B+ - started to inch out of the pew while looking at me, daring me to scold her.  Came right back in when I threatened her with a loss of her treat.

One of the prayer intentions was for couples to be willing to have large families - that was the one time that I wished we had the twins with us, just to be a witness to the whole large family thing.  But I think at this point we're a less-than-ideal witness at Mass, since we're usually so frazzled and snappy at the kids because they're craaaaaaazy!

Now off to cook all day for a party this afternoon - hopefully the rain holds off so we can grill!

Tomorrow begins the first day of July, my pants-free month - want to join me in the challenge?

Check out more lovely linkers at Fine Linen & Purple!


33 comments:

  1. Gorgeous! Love everything about your outfit--it's got a real retro vibe to it.

    I never think to wear a pop of color on my feet with a black and white outfit, but it looks great! I've got to stop being so conservative with my shoes.

    Happy Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! My pop of color usually ends up being red, but these shoes were already out, so they were it!

      Delete
  2. I wish you could come dress me every day. Except that sounds weird. You know what I mean ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dressing for nursing is the WORST! I love the on demand breastfeeding, but dressing for it is NOT my favorite. It usually goes, I love this dress, but...

    Anyways, your polka dots are perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You look lovely, and so does Cecilia: love nursing ~ hate always dressing for it.
    Glad the kids did so well for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the veil? How long have you been veiling and why did you start? I am always discerning if it is something the Lord is calling me to and love hearing about others who veil.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the outfit! I don't think we've had a baby free Mass since our little guy was born, so more than a year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE love LOVE the dress!! It's such a great feeling to be able to fit into older clothes, even if they're a smidge tighter. :) I am, however, jealous of your NO screaming, NO talking toddlers at Mass. Sigh. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mean, they certainly talked... But much more quietly than usual, and I only had to tell John Paul to stop asking me what every single word meant a few times!

      Delete
  8. You always look amazing, but I especially love this outfit! It's such a classic look!

    And I'm pretty sure John Paul and Sadie would be buddies if they ever met. Sadie's life revolves around convincing the priest she can take communion...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can you imagine the incredibly tame adventures they'd get into? Playing priest-and-nun, or they could play Mass and he could give her the "Eucharist" - I bet that's why she REALLY likes having a brother, because soon enough she'll be enlisting him to be the priest in all her games :P

      Delete
    2. I was at a different church from my usual one yesterday; it was an Anglican Use Catholic church, complete with altar rail. A boy who looked about five went up with his mom while she received, and she had a bit of difficulty getting him to let go of the altar rail to go back to their pew. So you two are not alone!

      Delete
  9. 4 kids under 4 and you're still zipping up college clothes? GO GIRL!!! You look awesome! Always fun to change up the kiddos for Mass...makes it interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think we've reached our breaking point with the child:adult ratio, at least until we can count on better behavior...

      Delete
  10. Love the outfit, Rosie! Esp. that blazer. And hooray for a non-fussy mass!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great dress! The large polka dots are so much fun, and the blazer is perfect with it! And how wonderful to hear that one of the intercession a was for couples to be open to larger families--that's so encouraging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely, especially in our area where there seem to be so few big families because it's expensive to live here!

      Delete
  12. You are looking lovely my friend. Very retro and I adore the shoes you chose. Just the pop of sass your outfit was calling for. Yay for dangling earrings! LOL! Now following you on bloglovin!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am so happy that your kids are behaving better at Mass!! And I wear simple, floral skirts and plain white or black T shirts whenever I am out in public. It feels much cooler than pants and I haven't worn shorts in years. I do wear sweats at home though, they are more comfortable for all the work I do around the house. God bless you!
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love,love,love the dress and the shoes! No feeling guilty for leaving the babies at home, there is a season for everything and a few Masses with "only" the two oldest is a wonderful treat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it was really nice for the big kids, too - Cecilia actually got to sit in my lap and be picked up for once!

      Delete
  15. Oh my gosh, a pants free July? I expect a picture everyday!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ah, a mass where you don't want to pull your hair out... it's a lovely thing. For me, the baby is the easy part at mass though... he'll often sleep through part of it in his car seat, and most of the time he's not too fussy. My 2 almost 3 year old on the other hand is another story. Let's just say sitting still is not his thing. Anyway, love the dress and love the sermon about large families. Glad you had a nice Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Somehow we have yet to make babies who are willing to sleep in their car seats during Mass... It's gotta happen one of these days, right?

      Delete
  17. My friend Julie and I typically sit together at Mass. I have three and she has two. My oldest is old enough that I expect her to pay attention all through Mass. The rest of the kids usually play quietly together. She and I have both noticed that our kids are less well behaved when we don't sit together. Now we try to warn each other if we won't be at our regular Mass so the other knows what to expect for her kids!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if playing quietly is a thing mine are even capable of yet... Someday!

      Delete
  18. You look beautiful! And I'm so happy you got to rock that necklace baby-free ;)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the black and white and then the blue shoe POP! Perfect.

    ReplyDelete

I *love* reading your kind comments and will always try my best to reply right here in the comment box so we can keep the conversation going! If you have a blog of your own, please do link to it so I can visit back :)

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan